There are a lot of weird lists of questions floating around online, but this one is different. See, I’ve avoided giving out too much personal information online and especially here on the blog. It’s not really about fear of being discovered, I’m an out atheist everywhere, but honestly, it’s that I don’t matter. I don’t say that in a self-depreciating manner, but in an honest one. The things I write don’t depend on me, but on the ideas that I write about. I hate the cult of personality that so much of atheism has become, where people follow heroes around and agree with whatever they say, just because they say them. I’m not here to be idolized, I’m not here to be followed, I’m here to put out good information, rational arguments and hopefully entertaining reading.
That said though, I came across this list of 25 questions over on Google+ and thought I’d reveal a little about me, for anyone who actually cares. If anyone has any other questions, I really don’t mind answering them, so long as they’re not too absurdly personal and even then, I won’t get mad, I just won’t answer.
1. Do you have pets? Yes, I currently have 4 dogs, 5 cats, 4 birds and a snake living in the house with me. In the past, I have had all manner of other animals, from hamsters and chinchillas to ferrets and weasels. About the only “common” animal I haven’t had is a horse.
2. Name three things physically close to you? Right now? Well, clearly my computer so I won’t say that. I have my tablet, my headset that I use for recording podcasts and a cat sleeping on my desk.
3. What’s the weather like right now? Actually, it’s really nice at the moment, sunny and warm without being too hot. Over the past week, it’s gone from being cold and rainy (right after I washed the cars, naturally) to being very hot and windy. This is a nice change.
4. Do you drive, if so have you crashed? Yes, I drive. I haven’t crashed in a long, long time, the last accident I was involved in was maybe 5-6 years ago, I was pulling out of a parking lot late at night and someone in a red pickup came out of an adjacent driveway without their lights on and without looking. I had to swing wide to avoid getting t-boned and ended up hitting a street sign, resulting in a huge dent in the bumper and a flat tire. The guy in the pickup just kept on going. Insurance paid for it and in fact, the body shop fixed some other non-related damage to the car and billed it to the insurance company anyway. Shhhhh. And no, I didn’t ask them to, they did it on their own.
5. What time did you wake up this morning? This morning? 6:04am. I have a really accurate internal clock, I will wake up and know what time it is, usually accurate to within a few minutes. I play this stupid little game in the morning where I guess what time it is before I look at the clock. This morning, I thought it was 6am. Close enough.
6. When was the last time you showered? This morning, not long after I woke up, of course.
7. What was the last movie you saw? The last movie I saw at all? I rewatched Tron Legacy last night. The last new movie? The Hobbit on Bluray. I don’t go to theaters.
8. What was your last SMS/text message? Seriously, I don’t text much. I used to, back when I had some idiot employees who had to ask my opinion on every decision they ever made, but now, it’s just not necessary. I’m much more of a phone call kind of guy.
9. What is your ring tone? The theme from the TV show Psych. Ought to change it.
10. Have you ever been to a different country? Yes, many. However, I’m not a big fan of travel, I don’t want to go someplace, just to say I’ve been there. Usually, if I’m traveling, it’s for a specific purpose, I have something that I want to do when I get there and the amount of touristy stuff that I’ll do is minimal. For some people, it’s the journey, not the destination, for me, it’s usually the destination and maybe have a little fun on the journey too.
11. Do you like sushi? I love it, we’ve got a really great sushi place we go to less than a mile from the house. I don’t know that I have a favorite type of sushi, although I really like makizushi and onigiri.
12. Where do you buy groceries? Um… Home Depot? What kind of a question is that. It depends on what else I’m doing but the two grocery stores closest to the house are Stater Bros. and Food 4 Less. I pick whichever one is most convenient.
13. Have you ever taken medication to fall asleep? Not often, although things like Nyquil just have that side-effect. They really don’t work on me anyhow, I’ll take something, it won’t work at all the day I take it, but the next day, it’ll knock me on my ass for 12 hours straight or more. It’s just not worth it.
14. How many siblings do you have? One, a sister, 3 years younger than I am.
15. Do you have a desktop or laptop? Both, plus a tablet, a smart-phone, etc. I have online accessibility pretty much everywhere I go.
16. How old will you be on your next birthday? My next birthday? 47.
17. Do you wear contacts or glasses? Neither, I have always had better than average vision. I guess I wear sunglasses but that’s about as far as it goes. I also have better than average hearing.
18. Do you color your hair? Nope, no need or desire. I don’t get people who are so shallow as to be overly concerned about their looks.
19. Tell me something you’re planning to do today. I can tell you some of the things I’ve already done, other than the obvious. I’ve written and recorded another episode of Bitchspot Quickies, I’ve written 3 new blog posts (including this one) and tonight I plan on watching 4 TV episodes so I can put my TV Thursday post to bed for the week.
20. When was the last time you cried? I don’t know, I don’t cry easily. There are certainly things, like the death of family members or pets, that can choke me up and a really great emotional scene in a movie can move me to tears, but otherwise, not much of a crier, sorry.
21. What is your perfect pizza topping? I love meat on pizzas, give me pepperoni, sausage and ham and I’m a happy guy. I don’t go in for pineapple or anchovies or anything like that, although I’ll certainly eat things like black olives and mushrooms. I hated mushrooms as a kid but I really like them now. Go figure.
22. Which do you prefer, hamburgers or cheeseburgers? Definitely with cheese. Everything is better with cheese. My favorite cheese is cheddar, sometimes I’ll just buy a big block of it and eat it as a snack.
23. Have you ever had an all-nighter? Define all-nighter. Just staying up all night? Of course, who hasn’t? I used to go to conventions and stay up from early morning Friday until late evening Sunday. I can’t do that anymore.
24. What is your eye color? Blue. I’ve had people say they really like my eyes. Not sure there’s much more to be said about it.
25. Can you taste the difference between Pepsi and Coke? Don’t know, I don’t drink either. In fact, I only drink clear drinks and, because I’m diabetic, only sugar-free drinks if I can help it. My favorite is Mountain Dew, but I can also drink Sprite. I just don’t care for 7-Up for some reason. I’m also good with orange sodas or lemonade. I do not drink alcohol. The last time I had a drop of alcohol was about a week after my 21st birthday when a friend and I went out to celebrate at a bar. We both had two beers and went home. I haven’t had any, nor wanted any, since.
So, did you learn anything? Anyone else who wants to answer these questions on their own blog, why not leave a link in the comments? Sometimes, I guess we forget that there’s a real live person behind the text we see on the screen and maybe this will help to remind people.